The CDC is a great resource for information beyond just disease control.
According to the CDC the death from falling rate in older adults has increased by 30% from 2007 – 2016.
Some more details from the CDC are:
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury.
- Each year, 3 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
See the full article here – CDC Safety.
Ways Of Preventing Falling
- Talk to your doctor
- Exercise like Tai Chi is good for strengthening leg muscles
- Remove hazards like loose carpet
- Install grab bars in your bathroom
- Install non slip flooring
How We Can Help
Many older adults want to stay in their own home. Therefore, doing some or all of these ways of preventing falling can make it easier for them to do so.
You could start by installing grab bars in your shower. Or by removing tripping hazards like loose carpeting. A third way would be to install non slip flooring. Visit our Services page to see how we can help you get the most out of your house.